Hiscox Ltd full year results
"A good result in a challenging year for insurers"
Group key performance indicators
For the year ended 31 December 2018
- Profit before tax tripled to $137.4 million (2017: $39.7 million), with a strong underwriting result of $148.0 million (2017: $43.0 million) in another busy year for claims.
- Gross premiums written grew by 15.0% with double-digit growth in all segments.
- The standout performer was Hiscox London Market, which returned to growth and profit after three years of disciplined cycle management.
- Hiscox Retail wrote over $2 billion of premium and served one million customers for the first time, and its profits cover the dividend for the third consecutive year.
- Hiscox Re & ILS was impacted by a second year of significant natural catastrophes and some large individual claims. Kiskadee Investment Managers’ assets under management now at $1.5 billion.
- Ongoing investment in brand and infrastructure to capture long-term growth opportunity continues.